Thursday, February 19, 2009

The truth about pain

I am 35 years old. Oh my word, did I just admit that out loud. How appaling. Actually, I don't care. I'll tell you my weight if you want to know. :-) Anyway, my point. I am a rather healthy 35 year old woman. I have 4 children. Yeah, yeah, you all know this, I know just stick with me. I gave birth to 4 children. There was a lot of pain involved in childbirth. I have broken 2 bones in the last 10 years. I fell while pregnant with my Kyle and broke my left arm. Very fun. I fell while roller skating last year with my kids, actually, Kyle, and broke a bone in my right arm. Very fun. There is a lot of pain involved in broken bones.

Here is my point...I have a high tolerance for pain. I say this without pride. Truly, I used to take pride in my high tolerance for pain, but no more and here's why.

Last weekend, I enjoyed a lovely Valentine Dinner with my hubby and sisters and their hubby's in Lancaster. Following our great dinner we stopped by to pick up our kids at my aunt's house. (Thanks Caite for watching my kids!) Poor kids were wiped out and sound asleep. I leaned down and picked up Teagan from her sleeping bag and POOF. Pulled muscle in my neck.
OUCH!
GOt the kids home and into bed and tried to get comfortable myself. My neck was really sore and in fact, I couldn't move it. My whole shoulder was hurting. The next morning, I was in bad shape. Couldn't move or turn, although I kept trying. Finally I called the dr. and decided to go in for a visit. My hubby drove me since I couldn't drive.
The dr. asked lots of questions and then began the process of feeling my neck and trying to move it. In the process I began to feel quesy and dizzy. Next thing I knew, my head was between my legs and she was using SMELLING SALTS to revive me.

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED? I tolerated the pain till it really hurt and then passed out.

Here's the deal folks. If you have a high tolerence for pain, that means that pain doesn't feel the same for you as it might for others. However, when you do feel pain, which admittedly is severe, you have no pain management skills and you are a complete wuss.

So, if you, like me, have a high pain tolerance, be careful lest you fall or strech or pull...once the pain does hit...you are likely to pass out and make a complete fool of yourself in the doctor office.
(Plus, in the process you will manage to infect yourself and your hubby with the flu by being in the dr. office.)

High Pain Tolerance = total pain wuss

Learning Life's lessons the hard way,
KT

No comments: