Tuesday, March 10, 2009

sorry, no beds


YIKES!!!!

4 years ago today I woke very early and very excited to have a baby. I'd been waiting for 9 months for this day. My induction had been scheduled a month earlier and the bags were packed, the nursery was ready, the kids were taken care of, the relatives were in town, and I WAS READY!

So at 6:00 am, I'm dressed with make-up on, my nails done, and my hair fixed. And I waited.....and waited...check the directions...."PLEASE BE READY BY 6:00am. THE LABOR AND DELIVERY ADMISSIONS OFFICE WILL CALL YOU WHEN IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO COME IN. so I waited...and paced...and waited...started to worry. After all, I'm 9 months pregnant and ready to get this baby out! Oh, and by the way...I'm hungry and can't eat.

8:00 I give up and called... just to check. Sure enough, I was on the list and they would call me when they were ready for us to come in.

9:00 still waiting...still pregnant... and still hungry...

10:00 THE PHONE RINGS! "Mrs. Martin, I'm sorry but there are no beds available today. We have moved you to the list for tomorrow. Please follow the same directions you received for today's scheduled induction. Have a nice day."

HAVE A NICE DAY???

Let me ask you... Exactly what is a 9 months pregnant lady supposed to do on the day of her scheduled induction when the induction will now not take place? Seriously, I've already done the false labor get sent home from the hospital thing 2 days before. How can I wait till tomorrow morning to even get started on this delivery process? I thought I was going to meet my baby today...

That was a long day. A very long day. My Mom and sister Amy were great at keeping me occupied. I still remember walking through T.J.Maxx trying to stay busy and glaring at the people who looked at me and were pointing. After all, this was my 4th baby and I was full term. Large doesn't really describe it and waddle is a nice description of my gait. After shopping, we went to Wendy's. I ordered chili and asked for several extra hot sauce packets to add to my lunch. They say spicy helps! Then that afternoon, I added a few drops of the desperate woman's guide to induce labor: blue cohosh. There was NO way I was going to not make it into that hospital the next day.

That afternoon with spices and blue cohosh and raspberry tea swirling in my stomach I crawled into my bed to try to sleep away some of the long hours till 6:00 am. By evening my plan had worked. I was contracting! Yeah...I was really having contractions!!! Between 8:00 and midnight I had contractions and tucked my kids into bed and called Miss Lindsay to come and help.

At midnight I called the dr...and we all crawled into the car headed for the hospital. This time, with contractions coming and my induction scheduled in less than 8 hours I was determind that 1 of those beds WOULD BE MINE!!! Finally this very long day that was supposed to be my child's birthday had passed.

momofkri,
KT

4 comments:

Emily said...

LOVE those nails!

Anonymous said...

After experiencing induction.,.. twice, I'd say that was a blessing! LOL Going on your own is much better in my opinion!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

ahhh, what a day. i remember you wearing that shirt for those pictures!!!

i forgot about the tj maxx trip you went on. it was so exciting when you called and told me to come on over!!

momofkrit said...

I actually loved inductions. I had 2 and preferred them Go figure.