Thursday, June 19, 2008

Yearly Tradition

So today I indulged in a yearly tradition of mine from which I actually derive great pleasure...are you ready??? Wait for it....

The Annual June Cleaning of the Laundry Room

Yup, you read it correctly. I disconnect the washer and dryer and move them away from the wall. Then I engage in the tedious task of removing the dryer vent hose and cleaning it out with the vacuum and then wiping it clean by hand. I pulled out the Murphy's Oil Soap and washed the walls and the floor board and then mopped the floor by hand. The shelf above the washer and dryer had collected a good bit of dust since last June so I cleaned it and dusted off the bleach bottle and the box of Borax which I bought months ago and haven't yet used. Lastly I clean the outside of the machines and make them shine.

Ahh...once everything is moved back and reconnected I stand back and admire the cleanliness of the laundry room. I am delighted that this task is completed and I have truly enjoyed every moment of it. Why do I like it so much? Perhaps because it happens only once a year. Perhaps because I know it is helpful in preventing a fire. Perhaps because I actually know how to do it? Perhaps because I don't have to do laundry on this one day of the year. I'm really not sure but have been looking forward to this task all spring and now that it is complete I am happy and satisfied and yet strangely sad that it is over. I am odd, it is true.

The kitchen is messy, the bathrooms need cleaned and there is a backlog of laundry since the washer and dryer were out of commission today, but fear not, for the next day my quiet clean sanctuary will be the laundry room. If only I could derive the same sense of satisfaction from cleaning the other rooms in my house!!

Blessed to be momofkrit and woj and walking through a clean laundry room,
KT

No comments: