Saturday, August 16, 2008

I had a dream

So I had a dream last night.

I went school shopping yesterday to get the kids their uniforms and school supplies such as pencils and crayons and binders. With Starbucks in hand and my detailed list I was ready to get this job finished.

First stop: uniform store. As I walked into the store I noticed 2 women and 6 kids walking into the store. Yikes, I thought, I'm so glad my kids are at home. I watched as these poor women split the kids by sex and began the painstaking process of trying on clothes while attempting to maintain control of these rowdy children. Every now and then the youngest of the group would escape and run around the store and the boys, proving that boys are boys, could not keep their hands off each other. It is a good thing this store had a restroom too because those kids kept taking turns using it! As I finished making my selections and headed toward the checkout I noticed half of the kids climbing up a store ladder!! Wow...the moms looked slightly frazzled and anxious to abandon this store. :-) I felt their pain, I've been there before.

Second stop: Staples. Looking for deals I wasn't paying attention to the customers around me until I saw a familiar child go running fast and these loud boys come desperately searching for mechanical pencils. Yup, sure enough, these moms and 6 kids were following me! "I want pink, can I have blue, Mom I NEED this lead, I'll be over here, Mom." Oh my, these ladies were brave bringing 6 kids into this store. They seemed to explore each aisle with great intent and frequently went dashing to show their maternal units a great new find. Spinning chairs, computers, executive desks, these kids tried them all. Those poor moms, I thought, hope this is their last stop!!

Third stop: ToysRus. Rhiannon's birthday is 2 weeks away so I stopped in here to look for deals and also because I was sure this store would have a restroom. Hearing commotion behind me I turned to see these same 6 kids following me!! Well sort of. They were actually headed in 6 different directions. Seeing the moms pointing toward the restroom sign, I guessed they had the same idea. Staples doesn't have a public restroom and if those kids are anything like my kids, at least one child would need to go in every store. But ToysRus? Couldn't you find a better store with a restroom? With sighs of despair and requests for birthday and Christmas these kids begrudgingly walked behind their mothers and out of the store empty-handed.

Fourth Stop: Target. Ok, a few more school supplies and then I'm stopping for lunch! Oh no, it can't be, yup, here they come. What were these moms thinking? DS, Pokemon, Craft supplies, clothes, the kids were gleefully looking at everything as the moms kept corralling the kids forward and toward the school supplies. The 2 older boys in the group seemed very close and I observed that they never stopped talking. I wonder what they talk about? A few more items in the cart and then off to girls clothing where I came across the 2 older girls completely engaged in shopping for matching dresses, purses and wallets. They talked of being stars and being famous and choosing pretty dresses. Hmm, I thought, sounds like my little girl and her best friend.

Last stop: TGIFridays. Quiet lunch and then back to home to relieve the babysitter. Raspberry Iced Tea please, I was just finished saying when I noticed this group entering the restaurant. How funny! Each child choose their drink and selected their menu option and the waitress patiently listened as each child shared their selections. There they go for 1 bathroom trip. I smiled as I watched them go through familiar games such as tic tac toe, hangman, which picture is different, and many others. I felt a twinge of guilt as I watch the moms eat their salads and I scarfed down a burger. I bet they wanted a burger and fries, I thought to myself. Another bathroom run. Requests for forks, passing of napkins, reminders by mom to sit while we eat and close our mouths, and PLEASE don't lick your fingers. Another bathroom trip. Poor moms.
Refill requests, no wonder they need the bathroom. Check please, check please, check please, check please...what is going on?

I open my eyes, it is morning. OH MY WORD, I had a dream that was actually reality! I was one of those moms and 4 of those kids were mine. My good friend and her 2 kids made of the rest of that "crazy group". Did I really think that going uniform and school shopping and out to lunch with 6 kids would be a fun event?

YES!!! And it WAS. We had fun, made some noise, visited lots of bathrooms, got some supplies and best of all spent time with our friends. Good thing dreams are often embellished! :-)
Too bad this one wasn't. Ladders and bathrooms and licking fingers and searching for lead all of it true.

Just another fun day for this momofkrit,
KT

No comments: