Tuesday, September 2, 2008

locking doors

So when you have 4 kids communication is extremely important and yet also a luxury. Often on the weekends my husband and I will escape to our bedroom to attempt to start AND finish a conversation. Because my kids love to be with me So much they will follow us attempt to come into the room. So.,.we shut and lock the door.

Ok in our house we have a no locking doors policy (Except the bathroom) which is basically in place for protection when you have friends over and also to avoid little ones getting locked into rooms. Finding Mom and Dad's door unlocked is very upsetting to my children and especially my little one Teagan.

Monday morning, Labor Day, we escaped to our room to talk about the upcoming school year and finances etc.. and the knocks on the doors continued throughout the conversation. Later that morning I asked Teagan to tell daddy I needed to talk with him for a minute. Here's how it went:

Mommy - Teags could you please ask Daddy to come upstairs for a minute I need to talk to him.
Teags - NOT AGAIN?!!
Mommy - It's ok, Teags, I'll be quick.
Teags - NOT LOCK DOOR MOMMY!!
Mommy - Ok, honey, we won't lock the door.
Teags - Pinky promise?
Mommy linking pinkies with Teagan - Pinky Promise
Teags walking out the door turns around and says - AND NOT SIKE, Mommy!
Mommy appalled and amused that she knows the meaning of that word - Not sike honey.


Teagan satisfied with Mommy's answer, but anxious to confirm with daddy delivers her message but also physically forces a pinky promise from daddy as well. Returning to Mommy's room she announces that daddy will be up in a minute and she "plants" herself strategically on the bed ready to stay put for THIS conversation.

Thoughts:
I plan to enjoy this stage knowing that my kids will not always want to be so close to me.
I am continually amused by the language of my 3 year old. Being a 4th kid certainly takes away a bit of her innocence. How does she know the word Sike and how does she know how to properly use it? Answer: older siblings.

Blessed to be momofkrit and woj,
KT

No comments: