Friday, July 18, 2008

Children helping and helping themselves

So my youngest son is on his way to being a doctor. Or at least that is what I choose to believe since he is fascinated with blood. Several times today I treated a boo boo on his leg and carefully placed a bandaid over the injury. Several times today he came to me with a bleeding boo boo. How many boo boo's can he get in one day you may ask? Well, many, but today only one. He just kept taking off the bandaid and picking at it so it would bleed.

Now that the premise is set, here is my story. At 8:45 pm after sending the kids to bed already, Iain came to me with his boo boo bleeding a LOT. Several inches of blood actually were dripping down his leg. As I was on the phone and tired of cleaning up this injury, I told him to take care of it himself. (yes, he is 5).

A few moments later I hear dripping water. Heavy dripping water. Iain was indeed helping himself and had soaked a kitchen towel in the bathroom sink and then proceeded to walk to the kitchen with his dripping blood and the dripping towel. Teagan, my big helper, heard the commotion and somehow appeared on the scene, remember I'm on the phone. When I hear noise in the bathroom I question who is downstairs. Teagan of course, she is cleaning up the mess of course. With toilet paper.

Since she is at it, she decides to clean the potty too. With toilet paper. And the sink. With toilet paper. Have you ever used toilet paper? Do you know what happens to wet toilet paper? Yeah, she did a great job cleaning and proudly declared herself finished and went back to bed.

Lesson learned? Mom, get over your selfishness and deal with the issue at hand in order to save yourself more work later. Now I'm off to reclean the bathroom and I'm sure tomorrow I will need to retreat the boo boo for sure. Oh well.

Blessed to be mom of great helpers,
KT

No comments: