Friday, July 18, 2008

Inside the mind of a mom

So it is 9:23 am on Friday morning in July. It is already too hot to be outside. We did a bunch of activites yesterday outside of the house. I woke with the gripping thought, "What am I going to do with these kids today?" We read a lot yesterday. We did a huge craft yesterday. We could play some board games, IF we could find all the pieces. We could clean IF I'm willing to deal with their cleaning styles. I could break my NO TV before noon rule, NO WAY, I won't do it. Let's see, google...I'll google what to do on a rainy or excessively hot day. Great ideas, IF you have a working printer, which I don't. Hmm...what next...I'm in trouble...

Where are those kids anyway? Oh, well, look at that. All 4 children are in their toyroom playing together. They are in different countries, I think, and maybe our house is a hotel? I can't quite tell, but the point it...They figured it out on their own!! While I'm so busy trying to come up with an activity for them, they got busy doing something.

Why do we think we always need to have planned activities for our children? I forget that they have incredible imaginations and if given the time and space they can create wonderful play on their own.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think this will last all day, trust me, I've had this realization before and it is beautiful while it lasts. However, my research has helped and when they come to me saying they are bored, or when their play turns to fight, I'll be prepared. No wonder Mom's are so tired at the end of the day.

Blessed to be momofkrit who are playing so nicely this very moment,
KT

No comments: