Thursday, July 3, 2008

poolside musings

So the other day I packed up all my kids with the help of a wonderful gal MaryEllen who came to stay with us for a few days and we went to the pool.

Actually it went more like this: let's go to the pool. I can't find my suit, where are my flip flops, I'm hungry, are we leaving yet, I hate sunscreen, this suit doesn't fit me, ow the sunscreen is hurting me, are we taking a snack, can we stay all afternoon, where is my towel, do you have goggles, can we eat first and then eat there too? Basically it took us 90 minutes to get dressed and sunscreened and eat and get out the door.

Finally we got there. We set our stuff beside all the other overflowing bags of towels and toys and snacks. Stripping down to what always feels like your underwear we ventured into the pool. The kids had a blast and I enjoyed watching them play in the water, splash each other, make friends and practice their swimming.

While I was there several thoughts came to mind:
* Do you even wonder what the lifeguards think about when they are on the stand because they aren't watching the pool?
* What is the 16 year old guy who is watching the baby pool supposed to do when no one is in the baby pool?
* Why do moms always sit on the side where the kids jump in and splash?
*Why do moms always tell their kids not to splash them but feel free to splash their children?
* Why do moms HATE when their kids have to go to the bathroom? That one is easy, because it is gross. You never know if the "wet" is water or pee and you know the bathrooms have been cleaned by the 16 year old lifeguard who is currently watching the baby pool. GROSS.
*Why is it that kids never want the snacks that you so lovingly prepared but would rather have the $3.00 for a pretzel snacks from the snack bar?
*Why is it that once you leave all you hear in the car ride is this: we didn't stay long enough, I'm still hungry, my towel is wet, are we going to eat, why couldn't we buy snacks, and mom, why does the bathroom at the pool always smell like applejuice?

Blessed to be momofkrit and woj,
KT

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

I've been lurking on this wonderful blog, directed by Mary Ellen's mom. I love your writing, your energy, your passion, your sense of humor, your kids. It's great! I used to be where you are (I'm 12 years older than said mom.) Enjoy! The time flies!
Emily's sister (one of many)! :)